The Marks Building
Tragedy struck on June 18, 1917 when a fire destroyed or damaged over 20 structures in the downtown, including the Marks Building. After the fire the exterior and interior were extensively remodeled. The corner store was leased to John & Louise Malgulas, who operated a candy factory and sweet shop. In 1921 the well-known Poulas Family purchased the candy business and they named their business the Maple Confectionery. The name was later changed to Maple Cafι, which had its own ice cream machine, soda fountain and dining room. For many years it was also the location of the Greyhound Bus Depot. The Maple Cafι remained in this location until 1972.
The Paul L. Hansen Family purchased the building in 1972 and, after extensive renovations, operated their popular women's dress shop The Palace Place
until the late 1990's. In 1998 the building was sold again and became the first certified organic brewpub in the United States.
Good architectural bones and a great location have proven
to be a winning combination for the Marks building.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is June 18, 1917.
Location. 39° 8.995′ N, 123° 12.472′ W. Marker is in Ukiah, California, in Mendocino County. It is at the intersection of West Perkins Street and South State Street, on the right when traveling east on West Perkins Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 South State Street, Ukiah CA 95482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in California’s Wine Country, in the North Coast, and specifically on the Coast Ranges. It is also on the American Pacific Coast and in the Pacific Northwest. Globally, it is in North America, on the Ring of Fire, in the Pacific Rim, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: 116 & 118 South State Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple History (within shouting distance of this marker); Ukiah Telephone Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Gambrel-Hawn Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); IOOF Lodge #174 (about 300 feet away); Eversole Building (about 500 feet away); Sun House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ukiah Vichy Springs Resort (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ukiah.
Another marker is no longer nearby. Ladies of the Night (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been confirmed missing).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.

