Georgetown in Clear Creek County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Cornish House, 1892
Georgetown-Silver Plume National Historic Landmark District
Cornish came to Colorado in 1868 and made his fortune in the mining industry. He was superintendent of the profitable Terrible Mine and other well-known mines.
The Colorado Miner noted in 1893 that "Mr. Cornish has been foremost in supplying his residence with all the modern improvements.” These included "hot and cold water, gas, electricity, sewerage, and heating appliances.” Later that year, Cornish embellished his place with “two handsome verandas” and “the finest...Iron Fence work ever done in our town."
Erected 2007 by Town of Georgetown and Historic Georgetown, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 39° 42.3′ N, 105° 41.901′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 Argentine St, Georgetown CO 80444, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hamill House Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Teal Building, 1875 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town Jail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commemorating the Historical Importance of the Georgetown Mining Region (about 500 feet away); Old County Courthouse, 1868 (about 500 feet away); John Tomay Memorial Library 1924 (about 500 feet away); McMurdy-Snetzer Building, 1869 (about 600 feet away); Masonic Temple, 1892 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.