Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Clear Creek County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Teal Building, 1875

Georgetown-Silver Plume National Historic Landmark District

 
 
Teal Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 4, 2020
1. Teal Building Marker
Inscription.  The firm of Teal, Foster, and Co. built this fine brick office building. Brothers George and James Teal and their partner, Ernest Le Neve Foster, were "general mining agents and consulting engineers.” Their ads indicate that they managed mining properties, inspected mines, made estimates for mining machinery and buildings, made underground and surface surveys, and acted as arbitrators in matters of dispute.

Initially, the proprietors occupied "two elegantly fitted offices” on the ground floor. Two mining companies used the remainder of the first floor for offices. Upstairs, a judge, the Town and County Surveyor, and the staff of the journal Mining Review each had two rooms.

In the 20th century, the building was converted to apartments, and stucco now covers the original brick.
 
Erected 2007 by Town of Georgetown and Historic Georgetown, Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 39° 42.308′ N, 105° 41.851′ 
Teal Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 4, 2020
2. Teal Building Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Georgetown, Colorado, in Clear Creek County. Marker is at the intersection of Rose Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on Rose Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Rose Street, Georgetown CO 80444, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cornish House, 1892 (within shouting distance of this marker); Commemorating the Historical Importance of the Georgetown Mining Region (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McMurdy-Snetzer Building, 1869 (about 300 feet away); Hamill House Museum (about 400 feet away); Old Town Jail (about 400 feet away); Forbes Building, ca. 1869 (about 400 feet away); John Tomay Memorial Library 1924 (about 400 feet away); Kneisel and Anderson Store, 1892 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152849

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 24, 2022