Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Belleville in St. Clair County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Reichert Business Block

 
 
Reichert Business Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, July 15, 2020
1. Reichert Business Block Marker
Inscription.  Joseph Reichert, who had emigrated from the German State of Baden, was a prosperous miller in Freeburg seeking a business opportunity in Belleville. He constructed this building in 1880 to be operated by his daughter and son-in-law, Maria and John Courar. John owned the shoe shop and saloon on the first floor and with Maria ran the boarding house on the second floor. After John died in 1893 a succession of saloons occupied the first floor, while Maria continued to reside above and host lodgers.

With the onset of Prohibition in 1920, John Schnceberger and Fred Wacchly converted their saloon into a soft drink fountain but were suspected of violating Prohibition laws, and the unused third floor was rumored to be a speakeasy. "Schnee and Wag" confined their soft drink business to one side of the building, with the other side being occupied by Century Restaurant. The fountain closed for good in 1923. Restaurants then occupied the entire first floor. Insurance agent Emil J. Kohl acquired the building in 1925 and from the second floor ran the southern Illinois general agency of the Northwest Mutual Life Insurance Company, which occupied the
Reichert Business Block building image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, July 15, 2020
2. Reichert Business Block building
Marker is mounted near the entrance.
building for over 20 years. In subsequent years residents often lived on the second floor. Restaurants continued to serve customers on the first floor.

In 1930, Rauth-Spinnenweber Hardware purchased the building. It and its successor, Belleville Hardware, occupied the first floor until 1984. Subsequently the first floor was divided between two businesses. Tenants on the east side generally were in food service, beginning in 1984 with Imperial Ice Cream and Confections. The tenants on the west side were Hilltop Emporium, which was at this location for 15 years, and an employment agency.

In 2006, William and Conni Tilley acquired and renovated the building. Rising Stars Monogram Boutique, an apparel and accessories store, moved into the west side of the building in 2007. On the east side, Pairabelles home accessories shop opened in 2013.
 
Erected 2014 by Belleville Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 38° 30.812′ N, 89° 59.227′ W. Marker is in Belleville, Illinois, in St. Clair County. Marker is on West Main Street west of South 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 W Main St, Belleville IL 62220, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
walking distance of this marker. Peters Saloon (a few steps from this marker); Kastel Electric (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Ruth A. Sterling (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carrie Thomas Alexander-Bahrenburg (about 800 feet away); Site of Old St. Clair County Courthouse 1861-1972 (about 800 feet away); Christian "Buddy" Ebsen (about 800 feet away); Julius Liese (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belleville.
 
Regarding Reichert Business Block. The building is part of the Blair Historic District, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2014 (#14000622).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021