Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eagle Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wood-Stock Anchor

 
 
Wood-Stock Anchor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 2, 2017
1. Wood-Stock Anchor Marker
Inscription.  The "common anchor" of the Great Lakes. This style of anchor was used from the time of earliest lake navigation until 1890. The wooden stock is split to receive the shank, then bolted to close and secure. This anchor was discovered about two miles offshore in Keweenaw's Great Sand Bay and raised by divers Darriell Sever and Wilbert Leinonen in 1968. It is believed to be from either the 233 ft wooden steamer "James Pickands", wrecked in 1894 with a cargo of iron ore, or the 252 ft wooden steamer "Colorado", wrecked in 1898 while carrying a cargo of flour.

Donated by "CopperTown USA" — Calumet, Michigan
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 47° 27.564′ N, 88° 9.59′ W. Marker is in Eagle Harbor, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Road north of East North Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker and subject anchor are located near the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 670 Lighthouse Road, Mohawk MI 49950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Wood-Stock Anchor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 2, 2017
2. Wood-Stock Anchor Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Riveted Bell Buoy (a few steps from this marker); Iron-Stock Anchor (a few steps from this marker); Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and Museums (a few steps from this marker); Fog Signal Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan DNR Marina (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle Harbor Entrance Channel and Range Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle Harbor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Eagle Harbor General Store (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle Harbor.
 
Also see . . .
1. James Pickands. On September 22, 1894, the wooden steamer James Pickands was downbound from Duluth to South Chicago with a load of iron ore when she was lost on Sawtooth Reef. The Pickands veered off course due to thick smoke from an inland forest fire and came to a grinding halt on the reef just East of Eagle River, Michigan. The captain and 15 crew members went ashore to await the salvage tugs, but a gale arose on the 25th and broke the ship in two. (Submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Colorado. The wooden propeller Colorado was built in March of 1867 at Buffalo, NY and carried one of the first compound steeple engines ever placed in a Great Lakes steamer. She was already
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
a veteran of the lakes when she ran aground on Sawtooth Reef on September 19, 1898, very near the wreck of the James Pickands. The captain claimed his navigation was hampered by smoky weather and magnetic anomalies caused by large amounts of iron ore that had been lightered by vessels stuck on Sawtooth. (Submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021