Anchorville in St. Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary
In the 1830s, numerous Catholic settlers immigrated to the Anchor Bay area. Having no formal church, the settlers were intermittently pastored by missionary clergymen. In 1847, Etienne (Stephen) Rose and his two sons constructed a wooden church on this property. Two years later, the Roses deeded a portion of their land to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Detroit for the purpose of developing a parish. In 1853 the diocese sent the Reverend Charles A. Chambille to be the first official pastor, and the Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary was founded. In addition to an ornate wooden church, the parish constructed a school, a cemetery and a rectory.
Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary thrived under a number of pastors until 1917, when fire destroyed the original wooden church, the school, and the rectory. The pastor at that time, Father James Downey, oversaw the reconstruction of all three buildings. Albert Rose, Etienne (Stephen) Rose's great-grandson, was the contractor. By 1918 the present church and the school were in use. The new brick church featured a cruciform floor plan.
Erected 2018 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan History Center. (Marker Number L2310.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 42° 41.496′ N, 82° 41.311′ W. Marker is in Anchorville, Michigan, in St. Clair County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Road and Dixie Highway (State Highway 29), on the right when traveling north on Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9764 Dixie Highway, Anchorville MI 48004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paul Torney and Michigan Historical Markers (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Sacred Heart Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Sacred Heart Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Ira Township Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); New Baltimore Veterans Memorial Nicholas Koenig (approx. 2½ miles away); Grand Pacific House (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anchorville.
Also see . . . About Us. Web page on the church's website that includes A Brief History of Our Parish. (Submitted on July 15, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 16, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.