Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Reformed Church
Michigan Centennial Institution
Historical Society of Michigan
in recognition of
First Reformed Church
founded in 1850
for more than 100 years of
providing continuous service
to the people of Michigan
and for contributing to the
growth and vitality
of our state.
Erected by Historical Society of Michigan.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan - Historical Society of Michigan series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 43° 3.816′ N, 86° 13.754′ W. Marker is in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Avenue. Marker is mounted at eye-level beside the entrance, at the southwest corner of the subject church, facing Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Washington Avenue, Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Akeley Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct Central Park (about 700 feet away); Ottawa County Court House (about 700 feet away); Grand Trunk Western Standard Coaling Tower (approx. ¼ mile away); Grand Trunk Western Bridge Approach Signal (approx. ¼ mile away); Grand Trunk Western, Wood Caboose No. 77915 (approx. ¼ mile away); Pere Marquette Steam Locomotive (approx. ¼ mile away); Pere Marquette Caboose No. A-986 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
Also see . . . First Reformed Church: How it all started... Dr. Albertus Van Raalte and his small band of followers settled in Holland in 1847, and that same year many of the first Dutch settlers migrated to Grand Haven. With the assistance of Dr. Van Raalte, this church was established as the Dutch Reformed Church at Grand Haven, meeting in homes. In 1848 they held religious meetings in and old schoolhouse on Second Street, and also in the new schoolhouse on First Street. First Reformed Church was organized in 1850 by the Rev. Klass Van der Schuur. (Submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.