Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Steketee's of Grand Rapids began leasing the building in 1958 from the Baltz Family and operated out of this location until the department store was permanently closed at the end of April 2000. The Tri-Cities Historical Museum purchased the property from the W.D. Baltz Trust in June of 2002.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 43° 3.83′ N, 86° 13.855′ W. Marker is in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Ottawa CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Washington Avenue, Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Reformed Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grand Trunk Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Depot Transportation Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ottawa County Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Model 5 Autoflag "Wig-Wag" Crossing Signal (approx. ¼ mile away); Grand Trunk Western Bridge Approach Signal (approx. ¼ mile away); Grand Trunk Western Standard Coaling Tower (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
Also see . . . Healy C. Akeley. H. C. Akeley left quite a legacy here in the Tri-Cities. He was a successful lawyer who also was in the lumber business. He was part owner of the Boyden & Akeley Lumber Mill, known as the largest shingle mill in the world. His home later was used for the Akeley School for Girls. In addition, he had a large sailing vessel built that bore his name. (Submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.