Copper Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A rush followed which reached its peak in 1848. Hundreds of claims were located and explored. Copper Harbor was a boom town with stores, hotels and saloons. Those were the days of whiskey and whiskers. One of the earliest newspapers in Michigan started publication here in 1846 as the Lake Superior News and Mining Journal with headquarters at the Astor House.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 47° 28.08′ N, 87° 53.361′ W. Marker is in Copper Harbor, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Gratiot Street (U.S. 41) and Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Copper Harbor MI 49918, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isle Royale National Park (here, next to this marker); Fort Wilkins State Park and Historic Complex (here, next to this marker); The Estivant Pines (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tracing the Story (approx. 0.4 miles away); "A Rallying Point for Copper Adventurers" (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Copper Harbor Lighthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Shipwreck (approx. 1.1 miles away); "The Astor will never leave Copper Harbor." (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Copper Harbor.
Also see . . .
1. A Short History of Copper Mining. In 1843, before the western gold rush of the '49ers, thousands came to the Copper Country to try their luck. The first mining rush came to Copper Harbor. All travel was by boat, there were no roads. Copper Harbor became a bustling sea town. Boom towns sprang up everywhere around the mines. These mines produced most of the world's copper. (Submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Copper Harbor, Michigan (Wikipedia). Copper Country was initially home to the Ojibwe people, who had lived in the area for thousands of years before the Europeans came to North America. In the year of 1836, the Upper Peninsula was officially ceded from the Native American Chippewa to the United States following the signing of the Treaty of Washington. The Pittsburgh and Boston Copper Harbor Mining Company, formed by John Hayes of Cleveland, Ohio, began excavating some pits near Haye's Point in Copper Harbor in the year of 1844. It was a small development at first, but its mine was modern for its time, and the company struck it rich in 1845. By 1870, the copper resources in the community had been largely worked out. (Submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.