Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Aledo in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Aledo United Methodist Church

 
 
Aledo United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 11, 2020
1. Aledo United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Aledo United Methodist Church began in April 1878 when Methodists acquired an interest in a small frame structure named Alma Hall in Alma, an 1870s-era settlement considered the precursor to Aledo. With the advent of the Texas & Pacific Railway line across Parker County in 1879, Alma Hall was moved to a nearby settlement, later called Aledo, forming along the tracks. The structure was situated on land purchased for $40 in 1888, northeast of North Front Street, the present site of the church. The church became the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of Aledo by 1890. A belfry was added in 1900, a Methodist Women's Home Mission Society formed by 1903, and another wing was added to the building by 1916. In 1939, when the three major branches of American Methodism formed the Methodist Church, the church became Aledo Methodist Church. In the 1940s, the church used funds donated by E.D. Farmer to construct a stone parsonage called the Rock House. In 1952, the old church structure was razed, and a new sanctuary, classrooms and an office were constructed of red brick. In 1968, the church became Aledo United Methodist Church when the Methodist Church united
Aledo United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 11, 2020
2. Aledo United Methodist Church
with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the United Methodist Church. In 1980 and 2003, new sanctuaries were built to accommodate the growing congregation, and a decision to construct an education building was made in 1990.

The Aledo Methodist congregation was the first in the town to own a church building. The church has an extensive volunteer network and welcomes the public through worship, presentations, and other gatherings including a fall festival. It has played a vital role in the establishment and growth of its community, offering a tradition of care, fellowship, support, and outreach.

175 Years of Texas Independence * 1836 - 2011

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16882.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 32° 41.793′ N, 97° 36.038′ W. Marker is in Aledo, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is at the intersection of East Oak Street and Pecan Drive, on the right when traveling west on East Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Pecan Drive, Aledo TX 76008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Aledo (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Aledo
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 600 feet away); Bankhead Highway in Aledo (approx. 1.3 miles away); James M. Benbrook (approx. 8.6 miles away); Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation Plant No. 4 (approx. 10.1 miles away); Curzon Place (approx. 11 miles away); Fort Worth Army Air Field (approx. 11.4 miles away); Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr. (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aledo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021