Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Aledo in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Aledo

 
 
First Baptist Church of Aledo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 11, 2020
1. First Baptist Church of Aledo Marker
Inscription.  This congregation was organized on September 25, 1879. The first church building was located on land (2.5 mi. SE) donated by a Mr. Middleton, who asked that the structure be named Alma Hall in memory of his daughter. The hall was shared with a Masonic Lodge and a Methodist congregation. Elder Isaac McMurray served as pastor of the Alma Hall Church until 1884, when it merged with the Ebenezer Church.

Soon after the consolidation, the congregation moved to the railroad town of Aledo. Here the members worshiped in the community schoolhouse until a sanctuary was completed at this site in 1891. In 1913 it was replaced by a larger structure, built under the supervision of Joe Hopkins and with the assistance of church members. Later additions to the site were made to meet the demands of the congregation's continued growth.

For over a century the First Baptist Church of Aledo has been instrumental in the development of the surrounding area. Pastors here have included many prominent Baptist preachers, and church members have actively served as leaders of the community. The church's programs continue to reflect the ideals of its pioneer
First Baptist Church of Aledo image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 11, 2020
2. First Baptist Church of Aledo
founders.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1607.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 32° 41.83′ N, 97° 36.119′ W. Marker is in Aledo, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Street and East Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 Elm Street, Aledo TX 76008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Aledo (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aledo United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Bankhead Highway in Aledo (approx. 1.3 miles away); James M. Benbrook (approx. 8.7 miles away); Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation Plant No. 4 (approx. 10.2 miles away); Curzon Place (approx. 11.1 miles away); Fort Worth Army Air Field (approx. 11˝ miles away); Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr. (approx. 11˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aledo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021