Gilboa in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Right in the Heart of New York State
— Town of Gilboa —
Formed in 1848 from portions of the towns of Blenheim and Broome, the Town of Gilboa is the southernmost town in Schoharie County.
Settlement began in 1764 by Matthew and Jacob Dise. Other families from New England to continue the settling of this region after the American Revolution. In early times, even a small village needed an inn and Gilboa's first inn was kept by Ruloff Vorhees in 1785.
In the 1840s a company was formed to build the Gilboa Cotton Mill Co. It soon prospered, running many as a hundred looms, employing eighty hands. The entire plant was destroyed in the flood of 1869 and was never rebuilt, Then on May 4, 1890, a tremendous fire destroyed virtually the entire village. Within a decade, the village was rebuilt and, as noted in The Schoharie County Directory of 1899, "the marks of the conflagration are hardly noticeable.
Right up to the 1920s, the village of Gilboa had been an thriving community with three churches, two hotels, a creamery, a theater, a telephone office and its own electric company. But with the construction of the Schoharie Reservoir – one of the oldest
Fossils the most ancient species of tree on the planet - known as cospermatopteris - survive and are on display a half mile from the overlook at the Gilboa Dam and 990V. These seed-bearing tree ferns grew on the muddy shore of an ancient sea that lay west of the present Catskill Mountains more than 370 million years.
One of the most spectacular sites in Gilboa is Mine Kill Falls, just off Route 990V. Beyond the overlook, a trail depends through a series of switchbacks to the bottom of the falls through a forest of pine and hemlock. The falls plummet out of a gorge into a pool at the bottom.
Erected by Schoharie County, Mohawk Valley Heritage Corridor Commision.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 23.87′ N, 74° 26.829′ W. Marker is in Gilboa, New York, in Schoharie County. Marker is on Route 990V west of Flat Creek Road (Route 17), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gilboa NY 12076, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Gilboa Fossils (here, next to this marker); Gilboa Settlement (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Schoharie County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cabin of John More (approx. 3˝ miles away); a different marker also named Schoharie County (approx. 3.6 miles away); Town of Conesville War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Manor House (approx. 3.7 miles away); Stone Bridge (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilboa.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.