Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Original Galveston Seawall
On Sept. 8, 1900 a devastating hurricane and tidal wave destroyed much of Galveston and left 6000 persons dead. After the tragedy, the city appointed a board of three engineers, Brig. Gen. (Ret.) Henry M. Robert (1837-1923), author of "Robert's Rules of Order," Alfred Noble, and H. C. Ripley, to devise protection from future storms. Work on their proposal, to be financed jointly by city, county, and state governments, was started in 1902. To prevent flood damage, buildings were jacked up and the surface of the entire city upgraded, increasing the elevation to a maximum of 12 feet above sea level. As a shield against high waves, a solid concrete wall was built along the Gulf shore of the island.
The original section of the seawall, begun in Oct. 1902, stretched 3.3 miles. Founded on wooden pilings, the 17-foot high barrier was backed by a sand embankment and protected in front by stone riprap. The Gulf side of the wall curved outward to prevent water from washing over the top. Finished in July 1904, the seawall proved its value in 1915, when a hurricane more severe than the storm 15 years earlier did far less damage. Since
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7475.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Disasters. A significant historical date for this entry is September 8, 1900.
Location. 29° 16.359′ N, 94° 48.912′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Seawall Boulevard, ¼ mile Fort Crockett Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Red Cross, Galveston County Chapter (a few steps from this marker); Galveston Seawall and Grade Raising (within shouting distance of this marker); Beach Invertebrates (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birds of Galveston (within shouting distance of this marker); Campeche / Galveston Island (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peter Leroy Colombo (approx. half a mile away); Burial Site of David G. Burnet (1788-1870) (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Ducky's Beach" (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 177 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.