Bluffton in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Barrel Landing Schoolhouse
The original Barrel Landing School was built in the 1800s prior to the Civil War, but was destroyed by fire in the late 1800s. A new school was built and reportedly suffered damage from both a fire and a hurricane earlier this century. At one time, there were four one-room schoolhouses in the area - three along the historic roadway that is now S.C. 170. When a central school was built in the Town of Bluffton in 1919, the Barrel Landing School closed it's doors to students and was converted into a community center.
All official written records of the schoolhouses have been lost, but former students of the Okatie community recall many aspects of the old schoolhouse. Teachers often boarded with families and either walked or traveled by horse and buggy
Erected 1995 by Sun City Hilton Head and Beaufort County Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 32° 17.382′ N, 80° 56.383′ W. Marker is in Bluffton, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker can be reached from Okatie Highway (State Highway 170) near Okatie Center Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Okatie SC 29909, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Honor Of All Veterans (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. Luke's Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Michael C. Riley Schools (approx. 5.6 miles away); Bluffton United Methodist Church (approx. 6 miles away); Church of the Cross (approx. 6 miles away); Palmetto Bluff (approx. 6.6 miles away); a different marker also named Palmetto BluffHardeeville United Methodist Church (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bluffton.
Regarding The Barrel Landing Schoolhouse. The Barrel Landing Schoolhouse and Community Center was restored during the spring of 1995 and officially dedicated on July 20, 1995. The dedication ceremony was heralded by the ringing of the Barrel Landing School bell by the great-grandchildren of former students.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,892 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 15, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.