Cañon City in Fremont County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Hotel St. Cloud
This was the St. Cloud Hotel, one of the finest hotels in Colorado, and long-billed as "The Health Seeker's Resort."
The St. Cloud Hotel was first established not in Cañon City, but in Silver Cliff, Colorado. The year was 1883 and the proprietors were Abell and Bracken. Often mistakenly believed to be the former Powell Hotel, it was built during the apex of the silver mining boom in this historic city. In the early days, if you lived in Cañon City and desired to visit Silver Cliff, you had to take a stagecoach run by the Colorado Stage Express. With a railroad line nowhere near the town, the journey would have taken you seven hours over rough road during unpredictable weather. A railroad did eventually come close to Silver Cliff — about two miles away, in what
In the Spring of 1887, the hotel was taken apart, and using freight wagons, hauled to Westcliffe, then loaded onto the Denver & Rio Grande freight cars for the long trip to Cañon City, where the building was reconstructed at its present site at 631 Main Street. At that time, Seventh and Main was considered far from downtown. The city's main business center was located between First and Fourth Streets, with the St. Cloud's primary rival — the McClure House — located on the 400 block. But the St. Cloud's owners had chosen their new location carefully. As the town grew, new residents and new businesses moved eastward — toward the St. Cloud.
Since the relocation of the hotel, Cañon City has seen many changes, and the St. Cloud many owners. The hotel has changed
In the last one hundred years, the St. Cloud has been the center of many activities, some memorable and positive, others less so. For many years, as early as 1890, it was the site of numerous high school prom celebrations, civic meetings and Chamber of Commerce banquets. From the 1930s, and lasting many decades, it served as the headquarters of the Continental Trailways office, with buses doing brisk business with departures several times a day. In the 1940s it was the ticket office for Monarch Airlines when it operated out of Freemont County Airport. And yes, in 1927, the north wing of the St. Cloud Hotel also served as state headquarters of the Ku Klux Kan.
Of all the hotels in Colorado, none has been more associated with the entertainment and film industry than the St. Cloud. Buffalo Bill Cody and Calamity Jane stayed here in 1908 when Cody's Wild West Show stopped for a few performances. During the silent picture days of 1910 to 1913, the hotel was the Colorado headquarters for the Selig Polyscope Company from Chicago, and it provided the sleeping quarters for cowboy stars Tom Mix, Bill Duncan, and Joe Ryan. During a huge fire on the fourth floor of the hotel in 1914, the cast and crew of the Colorado Motion Picture Company helped put it out. At the same time, they also gained several hundred feet of footage for a subsequent film project. And from the 1940s on, the building has been home to actors such as Burt Lancaster, Robert Walker, Slim Pickens, Broderick Crawford, Charles Bronson, Scott Brady, Hugh O'Brien, and many others.
In the ensuing years, the fourth floor of the hotel (which was added in 1887 when the three-story building was reconstructed) was converted into six apartments, with the remaining thirty-one guest rooms located throughout the first three floors. Banks, barber shops, coffee houses, beauty shops, gift shops, a men's store, a print shop, dress shops, an art shop, and a doctor's office-all have been part of the St. Cloud Hotel's long and colorful history in Cañon City.
Throughout good times and bad, it seems the St. Cloud Hotel has always been a valued and [obscured] member of the community. [Obscured]our memories and [obscured]eable.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 38° 26.503′ N, 105° 14.303′ W. Marker is in Cañon City, Colorado, in Fremont County. Marker is on Main Street west of 7th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 631 Main Street, Canon City CO 81212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Cloud Hotel (here, next to this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Banana Belt of Colorado (approx. 0.2 miles away); First People, Explorers & Settlers (approx. 0.2 miles away); 405 Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Raynolds Bank (approx. ¼ mile away); Bustling Center for Trade, Transportation, and Tourism (approx. half a mile away); The Gold Belt Tour National Scenic Byway (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cañon City.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.