Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mathilda Wehmeyer German-American Kindergarten School
Born in Bremen, Germany, Mathilda Wehmeyer (1839-1903) arrived in Galveston in 1870. She advertised teaching services for young children, particularly those from Galveston's large German-American community. Her teaching philosophy focused around the German concept of "kindergarten." After initially operating from a house on Ball, she purchased this lot in 1880 for her school. The original house on the lot burned in the 1885 fire that destroyed 40 residential blocks of Galveston's East End. In 1887, Mathilda constructed the existing Italianate building to serve as her house and school. In 1891, Mathilda reopened the school, which she operated here until 1898. She continued to live in the house until she was displaced by the Great Storm of 1900.
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017. (Marker Number 18647.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Education • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 29° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1616 Winnie Rear St, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A. Wilkins Miller Cottage (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wilbur Cherry House (about 400 feet away); Fredrick William Beissner House (about 400 feet away); The Cottage (about 500 feet away); Lockhart House (about 600 feet away); Landes-McDonough House (about 700 feet away); Former Site of Heidenheimer's Castle (about 700 feet away); Trube House (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . . Mathilda Wehmeyer House and German-American Kindergarten School. Wikipedia article (Submitted on July 21, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on August 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.