Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Spirit Creek Baptist Church

 
 
Spirit Creek Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2005
1. Spirit Creek Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  In July 1800, this church was organized in a canebrake on Spirit Creek by slaves on the Twiggs plantation. The Reverend J.W. Sutton served as the first pastor. In July 1868, the church purchased 14 and 1/2 acres here on Butler Creek and moved to this location. The current and second sanctuary on this site was constructed in 1931. Among the influential pastors who have presided here are Peter Johnson, Frank Beal, Daniel McHorton, and A.W. Vincent. The church was a charter member of Ebenezer Baptist Association and parent church of Corinth Baptist Church.
 
Erected 2000 by The Georgia Historical Society and Spirit Creek Baptist Church. (Marker Number 121-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 33° 23.05′ N, 81° 59.935′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Dixon Airline Road 0.2 miles east of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Old Savannah Road (Georgia Route 56), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1783 Dixon Airline Road, Augusta GA 30906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Schley 1786 - 1858 (approx. 2.8 miles away); Family Burying Ground on Good Hope Plantation (approx. 2.9 miles away); Twiggs Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Liberty Methodist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Tank, Combat, 90MM Gun (approx. 5.3 miles away); Dr. John M. Tutt (approx. 5.8 miles away); Haines Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 5.8 miles away); Lucy Craft Laney (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 15 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 6, 2020