Cortez in Montezuma County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
37 E. Main
On April 28, 1888, four years prior to the town's incorporation, John Curry from Telluride began publication of the Montezuma Journal through various owners, including C.A. Frederick and Mrs. Lillian Hartman Johnson.
Built in 1907, the Cortez Newspaper Building housed this community operation for over 90 years. The building represents a vernacular expression type of architectural style and was originally of frame construction which has been stuccoed.
Animas Publishing bought the Journal in March, 1999, and moved to their new facility on Smith Street in 2001.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 37° 20.911′ N, 108° 35.049′ W. Marker is in Cortez, Colorado, in Montezuma County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 160) and South Beech Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 East Main Street, Cortez CO 81321, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Nu-Way Western Wear (a few steps from this marker); Montezuma Title & Realty (a few steps from this marker); Mead & Hengstler Lumber (within shouting distance of this marker); Belmont Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); Montezuma Valley National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Owl Café (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Duff Mercantile (about 300 feet away); Cortez Travel (Duncan Beauty Shop) (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cortez.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.