Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Homage to Our Mexican-American Heroes
— Site of the Lugo Adobe —
Homage to Our Mexican-American heroes, veterans of America's wars. Covered with glory, their ideals of service provide power to America, for peace and for human dignity. Long live America during this time of such power.
Erected 1980 by California National Guard Association. (Marker Number 301.)
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in this topic list: Military. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list.
Location. 34° 3.378′ N, 118° 14.285′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Memorial is on Los Angeles Street just west of Alameda Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Los Angeles CA 90012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerLatino Blood, American Hearts (a few steps from this marker); Father Junipero Serra (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Mesa (within shouting distance of this marker); Moreno (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell of Dolores (within shouting distance of this marker); Damien Marchessault (within shouting distance of this marker); Navarro (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
More about this marker. This small marker is located at the Wall of Honor/Veterans Memorial adjacent to Los Angeles Plaza, in the park west of Union Station.
This was the site of the Lugo Adobe, California Historical Landmark No. 301.
California Historical Landmark Statement of Significance: The Lugo Adobe, said to have been built in the 1840s by Don Vicente Lugo, was one of the very few two-story houses in the pueblo of Los Angeles. In 1867, Lugo donated this house on the Plaza to St. Vincent's School (forerunner of Loyola University). From the 1880s until it was razed in 1951, the building was occupied by the Chinese.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2012, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 757 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on July 23, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2012, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.