Klamath Falls in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Klamath Falls City Hall
Built in 1914
This building was erected in 1914 by the City of Klamath Falls with a $50,000 bond. Designed by Earl Veghte and constructed by the Cofer Brothers, the building housed all City departments; the basement housed a jail and heating plant, and the first and second stories contained the fire department, municipal courtroom and various City offices. The fire department vacated the building in 1932 for a new location on Broad Street, and in 1952 a determination was made that a new police department and jail was needed. The rooftop belfry was removed in approximately 1950, and the bell was transported to Klamath Union High School, where it remains today. In 1980, City management offices and municipal court moved to 500 Klamath Avenue.
The Klamath Falls City Hall was built in the Beaux-Arts Style, which was inspired by the American Renaissance Style and popularized during the 1895 World Fair in Chicago. Beaux-Arts architecture emphasizes classical Greek forms and styles, elaborate detailing, and heavy masonry. This style was mostly used for grand public and institutional buildings. A typical building
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
Location. 42° 13.388′ N, 121° 46.919′ W. Marker is in Klamath Falls, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on South 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 226 S 5th Street, Klamath Falls OR 97601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Klamath Falls City Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Marion Apartments (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitlock House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Locomotive 2579 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Klamath Basin History (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Nurse (In Memory of) (approx. 0.4 miles away); This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Klamath Falls.
More about this marker. The marker is located in front of a brick retaining wall in front of the City Hall building.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2020, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2020, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.