Klamath Falls in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Klamath Falls City Library
Built in 1926
This building was erected in 1926 by the City of Klamath Falls. It replaced an earlier library, endowed by the Carnegie Foundation, built in 1913. Unfortunately the Carnegie Library was located too far from the center of the Klamath Falls population and was not used often enough. In 1969, the Klamath Falls City Library merged with the Klamath County Library, ending the Library occupancy of this building. The Klamath Civic Theater occupied the basement of the building throughout the 1970s. In the summer of 1980, the City of Klamath Falls opened the building doors to accommodate staff offices and public meeting areas.
The Klamath Falls Library building is in the Colonial Revival Style which was established at the 1876 World Fair in Pennsylvania. Colonial Revival architecture was intended to reawaken Americans to their colonial past. A typical building using this architecture has a symmetrical front facade with an accented doorway and evenly spaced windows on both sides of the entrance. The entry is flanked by pilasters with a stone railing at the roof level. This building has a full basement,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 42° 13.417′ N, 121° 46.93′ W. Marker is in Klamath Falls, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is at the intersection of Klamath Avenue and S 5th Street, on the right when traveling north on Klamath Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Klamath Falls OR 97601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Klamath Falls City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Marion Apartments (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitlock House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Locomotive 2579 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Klamath Basin History (approx. 0.4 miles away); George Nurse (In Memory of) (approx. half a mile away); This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Klamath Falls.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the brick wall of a wheelchair access ramp in front of the former library building.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2020, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2020, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.