Wheeler in Wheeler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built 1886, when Indians still raided nearby apple trees. Wheeler County's second school. Of native stone. Site gift of Tom Baley. Other donors: John Brown, Frank Chilton, Mr. Clark, Henry Frye, Bill Miller, J. E. Pior, Fred H. Rathjen, Jenkins Willliams. Teacher was Mrs. Gil Hodges.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4319.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 35° 28.589′ N, 100° 6.661′ W. Marker is in Wheeler, Texas, in Wheeler County. Marker can be reached from Unnamed road, one mile east of Highway 592, on the right when traveling east. This marker is on private property.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wheeler TX 79096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rock Barn (approx. 1.8 miles away); Wheeler County (approx. 9.4 miles away); Wheeler County Jail (approx. 9.4 miles away); Wheeler County Courthouse (approx. The Millie Porter House (approx. 9˝ miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 9˝ miles away); Custer on the Sweetwater (approx. 10.1 miles away); Wheeler Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeler.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.