Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ottawa County Court House

 
 
Ottawa County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 27, 2017
1. Ottawa County Court House Marker
Inscription.  Ottawa County's courthouse has been in Grand Haven since 1836, in a series of buildings. The first courthouse shared a one-room building, built on Second Street in 1836, with a school and church. The first true county courthouse was built in 1857; followed in 1894 by a bold brick-and-stone four-storey structure that became a treasured landmark for 70 years. A new courthouse building opened in 1964 and served the county over 45 years. The current courthouse, erected in 2009, establishes a new landmark by suggesting the architecture of the past.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 43° 3.745′ N, 86° 13.636′ W. Marker is in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker can be reached from Washington Avenue east of South 4th Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located directly in front of the subject Ottawa County Court House, beside the staircase, just to the left of the front entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 Washington Avenue, Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Marker detail: Ottawa County Courthouse, 1890’s image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of the Tri-Cities Historical Museum
2. Marker detail: Ottawa County Courthouse, 1890’s
The landmark bold brick architecture and commanding presence of the Ottawa County Courthouse in Grand Haven, 1890s.
walking distance of this marker. Central Park (within shouting distance of this marker); First Reformed Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Akeley Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Trunk Western Standard Coaling Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Trunk Western, Wood Caboose No. 77915 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grand Trunk Western Bridge Approach Signal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pere Marquette Caboose No. A-986 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
 
Also see . . .  Rev William Montague Ferry (Find-a-Grave). In the summer of 1834 he had made a circuit of Lake Michigan and reached his future home by hiking across the peninsula from Detroit and down the Grand River. He drew a Plat of the City of Grand Haven, dated September, 1834, showing the city east to Fourth Street. William engaged in the lumber business at Grand Haven and became a wealthy man. From 1835 to 1853 he was Postmaster. Rev. Ferry was the Father of Grand Haven as well as its spiritual and moral leader for nearly a half century. (Submitted on July 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Marker detail: First County Courthouse, c. 1836 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of the Tri-Cities Historical Museum
3. Marker detail: First County Courthouse, c. 1836
The first county courthouse shared space in the building with a school, church and meeting hall. This small building was erected in 1836 by William Ferry, one of the founders of Grand Haven.
Marker detail: Last criminal trial in the 1890s courthouse, 1965 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of the Tri-Cities Historical Museum
4. Marker detail: Last criminal trial in the 1890s courthouse, 1965
Ottawa County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 27, 2017
5. Ottawa County Court House Marker
(Ottawa County Court House entrance in background)
New Ottawa County Courthouse, built in 2009 image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 27, 2017
6. New Ottawa County Courthouse, built in 2009
The old stone courthouse is suggested in the roofline, windows, brick walls and cupola of the new Ottawa County Courthouse, built in 2009. Marker is visible left of front staircase, near bottom left.
Ottawa County Court House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 27, 2017
7. Ottawa County Court House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2021