Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Hord Log Cabin
First permanent structure built on the west side of the Trinity River in Dallas, this cabin of hand-hewn logs was erected in 1845 by Judge William H. Hord (d. 1901), Dallas County Judge, 1848-50, who brought his family here by covered wagon from Tennessee. In 1887 Oak Cliff developer T.L. Marsalis bought the Hord property. Mr. and Mrs. Martin Weiss rescued the cabin and gave it in 1942 to American Legion Post No. 275 and Auxiliary. The restored building became a museum in 1976.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6743.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 42.741′ N, 96° 53.45′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on South Cockrell Hill Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2804 S Cockrell Hill Road, Dallas TX 75211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Five Mile Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Merrifield CemeterySunset High School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Oak Cliff Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Dallas Baptist University (approx. 3.3 miles away); John Shelby Wisdom (approx. 3.4 miles away); Winnetka Heights (approx. 3˝ miles away); Tyler Street United Methodist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
More about this marker. The marker is in front of American Legion Post 275.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 26, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.