Salem in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Thomas Sinnickson House
This building was constructed around 1820 by Thomas Sinnickson, son of Andrew and Margaret Walker Sinnickson and grandnephew of Thomas Sinnickson who was active in the Revolutionary War. This historic building was home to one of Salem's oldest families, with roots extending back to the early Swedish settlers.
Sinnickson and his wife Clarissa Moore Stretch resided here, followed by later owners the Nelson, Sailor, Stretch and Harris and Francis families.
This building is dedicated to lifetime Salem County resident, farmer, businessman and public servant, William C. Hancock, Jr.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
Location. 39° 34.339′ N, 75° 28.154′ W. Marker is in Salem, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker is on West Broadway (New Jersey Route 49) just east of 5th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 West Broadway, Salem NJ 08079, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Salem Municipal Court (a few steps from this marker); Salem Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); 141 West Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); Broadway United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); 117 West Broadway (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 300 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away); World Wars I & II Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.