West Windsor: The New Gathering Place
After the construction of the San Francisco and North Pacific Coast Railroad (now the Northwestern Pacific Railroad) in 1872, businesses began to locate around the new train depot at the corner of Windsor Road and Windsor River Road. This area became known as "Windsor Station,” and as the area grew, it became "New Windsor” and then "West Windsor."
Excerpt from an 1898 atlas:
"West Windsor is a branch from the old town and has outgrown its parent. It was called into being through the advent of the San Francisco and North Pacific Coast Railroad.
For many travelers arriving in Windsor by train, the Reiman Hotel was their destination. Built in the 1890's, and also known as the "Western Hotel,” Reiman had 18 rooms, which went for $1.00 to $1.50 per night. It was not until the 1960's that most references to "East” and "West” Windsor were eliminated and the town simply became known as Windsor.
The Reiman Hotel at the turn of the 19th Century.
The rebuilt Reiman Hotel in 2015
Erected by Town of Windsor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 32.938′ N, 122° 48.924′ W. Marker is in Windsor, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from McClelland Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor CA 95492, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. East Windsor: The First Gathering Place (here, next to this marker); Windsor's Historically Important Families (a few steps from this marker); Nature and Agriculture (a few steps from this marker); Early Windsor's People: The Southern Pomo (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Events from the 20th Century (within shouting distance of this marker); Present Day Windsor (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Walters Ranch Hop Kiln (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor.
More about this marker. The marker is located in the middle of the Windsor Town Green.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.