East Windsor: The First Gathering Place
The history of this region has been defined by where people gathered for a common purpose and, often times, defined by the east and west sides of town.
Excerpt from an 1898 atlas:
"East Windsor has always appeared content to drowse and dream, asking nothing, desiring nothing, content to live within it."
The town well was located in "Old Town” on Main Street, what is now Old Redwood Highway. Many people and horses drank from its water.
The original Windsor Hotel was located in "Old Town Windsor" and was one of three hotels that operated in Windsor before the 20th century.
Fun Fact: Europeans first occupied Windsor around 1850.
Erected by Town of Windsor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 32.935′ N, 122° 48.925′ W. Marker is in Windsor, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. West Windsor: The New Gathering Place (here, next to this marker); Windsor's Historically Important Families (a few steps from this marker); Nature and Agriculture (a few steps from this marker); Early Windsor's People: The Southern Pomo (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Events from the 20th Century (within shouting distance of this marker); Present Day Windsor (within shouting distance of this marker); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Walters Ranch Hop Kiln (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor.
More about this marker. The marker is located in the middle of the western half of the Windsor Town Green.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.