Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Eagle Ford Community
The Eagle Ford Community developed just east of an important early crossing on the west fork of the Trinity River. Among the early settlers of the area was the family of Enoch Horton (1777 - 1851). Arriving in November 1844, they established several large farms.
James Horton (1818 - 1876) built the Eagle Ford Grist Mill and donated land in 1857 for the nearby Horton Cemetery. He also gave land for the Texas and Pacific Railroad right-of-way and depot. The village saw immediate growth from the 1870s until the rail line was completed westward to Fort Worth, when the Eagle Ford Community began to decline.
In 1907 William Foster Cowham and Associates came to the area from Michigan and began buying property, including some of James Horton's original holdings. They established the Southwestern States Portland Cement Company and built two villages to house their employees. Immigrants from Mexico found employment with the company, and their descendants have contributed to the diverse cultural heritage of the community. Eladio R. Martinez (1921 - 1945) was a distinguished soldier in World War II, earning the Combat Infantry Badge
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6681.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 46.523′ N, 96° 54.264′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Chalk Hill Road, on the left when traveling south. The marker is in front of the Dallas Fire Station #16. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2616 Chalk Hill Road, Dallas TX 75212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Camposanto de Cemento Grande de la Compania Trinity Portland (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kit Community (approx. 2.6 miles away); La Reunion Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Old Kit Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); La Reunion (approx. 2.9 miles away); Merrifield Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Irving (approx. 3.4 miles away); Western Heights Cemetery (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.