Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Eatonton in Putnam County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Concord Methodist Church

 
 
Concord Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
1. Concord Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  The oldest Methodist Church west of the Oconee River, Concord, first called Victory, was established in 1810, when William B. Pritchard and Thomas Johnston built a little log church on the Stage Coach Line from Milledgeville to Athens, on land donated by Thomas Johnston. The first pastor was Drury Powell. The first presiding elder was Dr. Lovick Pierce, the father of Bishop George F. Pierce. The named was changed to Concord after 1812.

A very strong church in its early days, Concord's membership included the Harrison, Arnold, Baugh, White, Wilson, and many other families.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 117-8.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 33° 16.769′ N, 83° 18.198′ W. Marker is near Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. Marker is on Pea Ridge Road one mile south of Crooked Creek
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eatonton GA 31024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mrs. Beall's Mill (approx. 3.4 miles away); Hillsborough (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Town Well Shelter (approx. 5.7 miles away); Uncle Remus Museum (approx. 5.7 miles away); Rockville School (approx. 5.9 miles away); Branch Bank of the State of Georgia at Eatonton (approx. 5.9 miles away); Putnam County Veterans Monument (approx. 5.9 miles away); Veterans Flagpole (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eatonton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,008 times since then and 21 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 27, 2020