Civilian Conservation Corps Project
Let this be a reminder to future generations of the invaluable service rendered by so many young men and preserving and maintaining parks and wildlife areas of this country.
The CCC assisted in the development of Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park by building the museum, roads, shelters, earth lodges, Blockhouse and marking the buildings of Fort Abraham Lincoln.
The CCC functioned from 1933 to 1942 with enrollees earning a dollar a day.
This plaque is placed here to the cooperative efforts of:
Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park
Merlin and Dorothy Dahl of Mandan, ND
Raymond C. Werre of Bowman, ND
Maurice and Margaret Barstad of Mesa, AZ
Oakes CCC Alumni Assn. of Oakes, ND
Life Members of CCC Chapter #106 Organization of North Dakota
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civilian Conservation Corps (a few steps from this marker); Commanding Officer’s Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Slant Indian Village (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Powder Magazines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Laundress' Quarter: "Suds Row" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schoolhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Scouts (approx. 0.4 miles away); Barracks (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mandan.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.