Negaunee in Marquette County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Marquette Iron Range
Erected 1957 by Michigan
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 46° 30.732′ N, 87° 36.158′ W. Marker is in Negaunee, Michigan, in Marquette County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 41 and Maple Street, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 41. Marker is located at the south end of Miners Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Negaunee MI 49866, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Jackson Mine (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line).
Also see . . .
1. History of the Iron Ore Trade. Iron ore was discovered on the Marquette Range on September 19, 1844 by William A. Burt, United States Deputy Surveyor, and party who were surveying in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Burt was the inventor of the solar compass and it was the remarkable variations in the direction of the needle that caused him to ask his party to seek about for that which disturbed it. Outcroppings of ore were found in great abundance; in fact, a mere rip of sod revealed the ore. (Submitted on July 31, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Charles Thompson Harvey. After his successful enterprise as Soo Canal engineer, Charles Harvey moved west to Marquette, arriving in 1857. He organized the Pioneer Iron Company and engineered the building of the first charcoal blast furnace in the Upper Peninsula near the Jackson Mine, Negaunee. (Submitted on July 31, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Iron Mountain Railroad. Feb. 22, 1855: First common carrier railroad in the Upper Peninsula, the Iron Mountain Railroad, was chartered; its Negaunee-Marquette line was completed by August 1857. (An earlier road, the “Iron Mountain Railway,” was a privately owned horse-powered tramway.) (Submitted on July 31, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Ore dock (Wikipedia). As the mines continued to develop and railways were put in place, the volume of ore increased, far outstripping the local production capacity. In 1855, the Soo Locks opened, and the volume of ore shipped increased, with a total of 1447 tons shipped on various brigs and schooners. The first dock specifically for the ore trade was built in 1857 in Marquette. It was flat rather than elevated, and the vessels were loaded by men using wheelbarrows. Activity also continued in Marquette's Lower Harbor. (Submitted on July 31, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 31, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.