First Universalist Church
organized in Sheshequin in 1808 and became a church organization in 1880.
This building was erected in 1827 by the united efforts of the members
who made "bees" to haul the stone, fell timber and make brick.
Early Universalist preachers were:
Rev. Noah Murray, Rogers, Stacey,
Thomas, G. S. Ames and Myra Kingsbury
The first Sunday School was conducted by
Julia Kinney Scott in 1830
Universalist Meeting House
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Erected by the George Clymer Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and Eugenia MacFarlane Balch Fund.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6752 Sheshequin Road, Ulster PA 18850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sullivan's March (approx. 0.6 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Armed Forces Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stone Wall Hill (approx. 3.2 miles away); Teaoga (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sheshequin Path (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named Teaoga (approx. 5 miles away); Fort Sullivan (approx. 5.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Universalist Meeting House of Sheshequin. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on January 10, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.