Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
"Messenger of the Alamo"
— (1814 - 1883) —
Susanna Dickinson-Hannig was a true "frontier woman."
Born, raised, and married in Tennessee, Susanna immigrated to Mexican Texas in 1832. Four years later, she survived the Battle of the Alamo with her infant daughter. Her husband died defending the Garrison. In the following years, Susanna struggled through poverty and three bad marriages.
She married her fifth husband, Joseph Hannig, in 1858. Moving to Austin, the couple found wealth and prosperity through Hannig's furniture store. The last years of Susanna's life were filled with happiness and grandchildren.
Hannig built the Dickinson House in 1869. It became a museum in 2010.
Erected by Celebrate Texas Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence • Women.
Location. 30° 15.949′ N, 97° 44.334′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on East 5th Street just west of Neches Street, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 409 E 5th Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. O. Henry (a few steps from this marker); J. L. Buaas Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cactus Theater (about 500 feet away); Platt-Simpson Building (about 600 feet away); Hofheintz-Reissig Store (about 800 feet away); Randerson-Lundell Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint David’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hotel Provident and Heierman Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2020, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 29, 2020, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.