Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Designated May 01, 2001
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 143.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list.
Location. 43° 4.392′ N, 89° 18.286′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on East Buckeye Road ¼ mile east of South Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4522 E Buckeye Rd, Madison WI 53716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conical Mound (approx. ¾ mile away); Nathaniel Dean Farmhouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dean House / Nathaniel Dean (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Monona Mound (approx. 1.2 miles away); Springhaven Pagoda (approx. 1.2 miles away); Monona’s Birthplace / Monona's History (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ernie's Trading Post (approx. 1.4 miles away); Edna Taylor Conservation Park (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Boutell House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The Boutell house is one of the best local examples of the Georgian Revival, a style that was immensely popular in Madison in the 1920s. The Georgian was the style of choice for most residential construction in America in the years before and after the American revolution.
Architects and builders renewed their interest in the style during the 1876 Centennial celebration; the style has been in fashion ever since. Originally part of the 80-acre Horstemeier farm, a daughter, Hilda, and her husband, Loyle, bought the site in 1923 for their new house."
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 745 times since then and 56 times this year. Last updated on August 1, 2020, by Jim Schaettle of Madison, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 30, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.