Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Denton in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mounts-Wright House

 
 
Mounts-Wright House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, August 1, 2020
1. Mounts-Wright House Marker
Inscription.  

The Mounts family first arrived in Denton County in the 1850s from Virginia. W.H. Mounts (1833-1889) and his wife, Martha Elizabeth (Mattie) Mounts (1838-1914), were early residents of the new county seat of Denton, which had been moved from New Alton in 1857. Through their businesses, farming and landowning, the family contributed significantly to the early development of Denton.

W.H. Mounts bought 15 acres of land from his mother, Emily Mounts, on April 6, 1867. The land became known as Mounts Farm. Cotton and fruit were grown behind the house. The original Mounts family home burned down in 1893, four years after the death of W.H. Mounts. In 1898, Mattie Mounts hired J.B. Wilson as the contractor for a new two-story house with eight rooms.

The house was built in the Queen Anne style which was consistent with the popularity of the Victorian-era architecture in Denton at this time. The exterior of the house features a veranda wrap-around porch, clapboard siding and fish scale shingles. The interior floors are of heart pine and the front door and stair balusters are examples of Eastlake lathe, gouge and chisel work. The
Mounts-Wright House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, August 1, 2020
2. Mounts-Wright House Marker
diamond window at the downstairs landing is a focal point for the house's façade.

One of the Mounts' eight children, Sena Mounts married William Wesley Wright in 1896 and the couple's five children were raised in the Mounts-Wright House. The house was officially deeded to Sena in 1914 at the time of her mother's death. Sena Wright died in 1952 and her husband lived in the house until his death in 1959.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2016
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18511.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 33° 13.026′ N, 97° 8.428′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is on Mounts Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 Mounts Avenue, Denton TX 76201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christal House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Denton Senior High School (about 800 feet away); Denton County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Denton County War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Denton County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away);
Mounts-Wright House image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, August 1, 2020
3. Mounts-Wright House
Our Confederate Soldiers (approx. half a mile away); Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County (approx. half a mile away); The City of Denton (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
 
Mounts-Wright House image. Click for full size.
By Kayla Harper, August 1, 2020
4. Mounts-Wright House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 2, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 21, 2021