Follett in Lipscomb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Follett United Methodist Church
In the early pioneer days of the Texas and Oklahoma panhandle, circuit riders (ministers on horseback) provided pioneers with church services. In north Ivanhoe, Oklahoma, in 1903, a group of rural residents gathered to form the Ivanhoe Methodist Church, led by reverend G.L. Hayes. In 1911, the town relocated to south Ivanhoe and began to hold services at the Stillwater school located near the Texas border.
In 1917, the church congregation relocated to the newly-formed town of Follett, Texas located near the border an close to the railroad. Church worship services were held in the F.J. Birdsall building, later known as the E.E. King garage. By 1918, the congregation broke ground on a new basement building. Many people worshipped in the church basement for five years until membership outgrew the space. Fundraising allowed the church to build a modern structure in 1924 with a sanctuary and classrooms.
In 1961, a new building was constructed on highway 15 with a fellowship hall, kitchen and pastor's study, over the last century, sixty-two ministers served the church and community. throughout the
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18670.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 36° 26.006′ N, 100° 8.25′ W. Marker is in Follett, Texas, in Lipscomb County. Marker is on 400 East Ivanhoe, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 E Ivanhoe, Follett TX 79034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Follett United Methodist Church and Church Bell (here, next to this marker); Follett (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairmont Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Northeast Corner of Texas (approx. 7.6 miles away); Darrouzett Cemetery (approx. 11.4 miles away); Lipscomb Cemetery (approx. 15½ miles away); Lipscomb Union Church (approx. 15.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Follett.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.