South Newport News , Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Birth of Naval Aviation
“The value of the aeroplane for the Navy is unquestioned.” – Eugene B. Ely
Naval aviation dates from November 14, 1910, when stunt pilot Eugene B. Ely coaxed a Curtiss “Pusher” biplane from the deck of the cruiser “Birmingham” in these waters, landing in nearby Norfolk. Despite detractors, Ely secured private funding and Navy aid for his daring effort, launching a virtual revolution in military aviation.
Erected 1993 by Newport News Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Military. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1863.
Location. 36° 58.934′ N, 76° 23.742′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. It is in South Newport News. Marker can be reached from 16th Street (Virginia Route 167), on the left when traveling west. Marker is located at the Monitor-Merrimac Overlook Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hampton Roads (within shouting distance of this marker); Monitor – Merrimack (within shouting Monitor – Merrimack Battle (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Stuart (approx. half a mile away); Greenlawn Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); The Newsome House (approx. ¾ mile away); The Winfield-Jones House (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains images of Ely’s Curtiss “Pusher” biplane in flight and a modern aircraft carrier. The bottom of the marker features the symbol of Naval Aviation.
Also see . . . Association of Naval Aviation webpage. (Submitted on January 18, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,693 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.