Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Original Site of Enon Baptist Church

 
 
Original Site of Enon Springs Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 2, 2020
1. Original Site of Enon Springs Church Marker
Inscription.  Approximately one-half mile north of here is the original site of the oldest Baptist Church (Missionary) in Alabama. This congregation was organized on June 3, 1809 as the West Fork of Flint River Church and renamed Enon Church shortly thereafter. John Canterbury was called as the first pastor on August 5, 1809. This group became a charter member of Flint River Baptist Association in 1814. Services were held in members' homes until a log meetinghouse was completed in 1813. This building served until 1825 when a brick church was constructed three miles northeast of Meridianville. In 1861 under the leadership of Pastor Eugene Strode. the congregation moved to Huntsville. The Enon Baptist Church was renamed First Baptist Church of Huntsville in 1895.
 
Erected 1997 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 34° 51.066′ N, 86° 33.174′ W. Marker is near Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Meridianville
Original Site of Enon Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, August 2, 2020
2. Original Site of Enon Baptist Church Marker
Bottom Road and Clyde Shelton Drive, on the left when traveling east on Meridianville Bottom Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Meridianville AL 35759, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Settlers Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Williams Walker (1783-1823) (approx. 2.8 miles away); William Hooper Councill (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of Bell Factory (approx. 4.8 miles away); Councill Training School (approx. 4.9 miles away); Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University / Alabama A&M University former names (approx. 5.1 miles away); Site of Quick Airplane (approx. 5.3 miles away); Harris Hill Cemetery (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2021