Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Republic in Marquette County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Kloman Bridge

1911-1985

 
 
Old Kloman Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2014
1. Old Kloman Bridge Marker
Inscription.  A Republic landmark named in honor of Andrew Kloman; founder of the Kloman Mine. Dedicated on this day, July 1, 1995 by Mr. Kloman’s great-grandson, Andrew (Drew) Kloman III during the Republic Quasquicentennial Celebration.
 
Erected 1995 by Andrew Kloman III, Republic Quasquicentennial Celebration.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 46° 24.368′ N, 87° 58.896′ W. Marker is in Republic, Michigan, in Marquette County. Marker can be reached from Park City Road just south of River Road (County Road 601), on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in Munson Park, overlooking the Michigamme River and (new) Kloman Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Republic MI 49879, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of the Men Who Lost Their Lives (within shouting distance of this marker); Cecil E. Munson Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Republic Iron Company (within shouting
Old Kloman Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2014
2. Old Kloman Bridge Marker
(Michigamme River in background)
distance of this marker); Republic United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to the Republic Open Pit Mine Observation Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Life of a Miner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Mine Exploration and Development (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Republic Open Pit Mine (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Republic.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: Mines and Miners. The Columbia Mine, located on the Republic Range, formerly known as the Kloman, was first wrought in the fall of 1872. The lands on which the mine is located were owned by the Kloman Iron Company, which was organized in December, 1872, with Andrew Kloman, William Coleman, Thomas M. Carnegie, Jacob Houghton and T. B. Brooks as corporators. That company operated the mine till the spring of 1875, when it was abandoned and the several pits allowed to fill with water, in which condition it remained till the spring of 1880, when it was leased to Messrs. Shumway, Wicker & Co., under whose auspices the Columbia Iron Company was organized.
Old Kloman Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2014
3. Old Kloman Bridge Marker
(Michigamme River and present-day Kloman Bridge in background)
(Submitted on August 7, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Marquette County: Greetings from Republic. (This link presents vintage photos of the Old Kloman Bridge, as well as other sites and landmarks around the town of Republic.) (Submitted on August 7, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 7, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021