Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saugatuck in Allegan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saugatuck Pump House

 
 
Saugatuck Pump House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Thejas Suvarna, July 13, 2020
1. Saugatuck Pump House Marker
Inscription.  The village of Saugatuck built this structure in 1904 to house the community’s first water pumps. The building’s construction cost about $720.
The pumps were part of a water system designed by John W. Alvord, an engineer from Chicago. The two gas-powered pumps brought water from seven wells up to a 100,000-gallon reservoir, located at the top of Lone Pine Dune, just north of Mt. Baldhead. Gravity fed the water through pipes under the Kalamazoo River to Saugatuck’s buildings and fire hydrants.

Reverse
In 1912 the Pump House was doubled in size to make room for the village’s first electric power station. By the 1930s, the pumps and power station could no longer keep up with demand, and the village built new facilities elsewhere. The building was vacant until 1972 when it was converted into a summer cottage that Dr. William Shorey and his family rented. In 1992 the Saugatuck-Douglas Historical Society began using it as a museum. The Pump House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
 
Erected 2016 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan
Saugatuck Pump House Marker, Side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 4, 2021
2. Saugatuck Pump House Marker, Side 2
Click or scan to see
this page online
Historical Center. (Marker Number L2284.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 42° 39.643′ N, 86° 12.424′ W. Marker is in Saugatuck, Michigan, in Allegan County. Marker can be reached from Park Street north of Van Dalson Street. Located at the Saugatuck-Douglas History Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 735 Park St, Saugatuck MI 49453, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Congregational Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); All Saints Episcopal Church / Gordon W. Lloyd (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saugatuck Engine House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Singapore, Michigan (approx. 0.4 miles away); Reed's Livery (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Singapore (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mt. Baldhead (approx. 1.1 miles away); Francis Metallic Surfboat (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saugatuck.
 
Saugatuck Pump House and Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John Garman, June 4, 2021
3. Saugatuck Pump House and Historical Marker
Saugatuck Pump House Marker looking North image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, June 4, 2021
4. Saugatuck Pump House Marker looking North
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2020, by Tharan Komarraju Suvarna of Sterling Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 6, 2020, by Tharan Komarraju Suvarna of Sterling Heights, Michigan.   2, 3, 4. submitted on September 18, 2021, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=154313

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 21, 2022