Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Franklin High School Gymnasium Windows
This state-of-the-art Public building was masterfully designed to embrace the architectural heritage of Franklin, constructed to look more like a traditional small town southern factory than a grocery store. The vintage steel windows were salvaged from the former Franklin High School gymnasium before its demolition in 2016 and repurposed in this building.
Franklin High School was established in 1910, and received its first building in 1926, just outside the downtown area on Columbia Avenue. In January 1956, the Franklin High School building burned down, leaving only the gym and basement standing. The school moved to local churches while a new building was constructed across town on Hillsboro Road.
The original Franklin High School gymnasium stood for another 60 years before its demolition. The land was reclaimed as a park, in line with the Carter House Master Plan, which serves to restore the topography and buildings on the historic Carter House property to reflect the way it was before the Battle of Franklin.
A donation was made by the Rural Plains Trust to The Battle of Franklin Trust, to save, restore,
Erected 2017 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education.
Location. 35° 51.808′ N, 86° 50.588′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Hughes Crossing just east of Levisa Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5021 Hughes Crossing, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin Noon Rotary Rodeo (approx. 0.8 miles away); Tyler Berry (approx. 0.9 miles away); Halfacre Reams Fleming Family Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Historic Shooting Range (approx. 1.4 miles away); Edward Swanson (approx. 2.3 miles away); West Harpeth Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); "The Harrison House" (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hood and Schofield (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2020. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 6, 2020. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.