Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Muskegon in Muskegon County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hackley Public Library

 
 
Hackley Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lugnuts, July 19, 2020
1. Hackley Public Library Marker
Inscription.  On May 25, 1888, Muskegon lumber baron Charles H. Hackley announced that he would donate a library to the city. Hackley stipulated that the facility be "forever maintained as a library." Patton and Fisher of Chicago, one of the six firms invited to submit a plan for the library designed a Richardsonian Romanesque - style building. The library was constructed of Maine granite and trimmed with Marquette sandstone. The reading room windows depict Shakespeare, Goethe, Longfellow and Prescott.
 
Erected 1990 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 606.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 43° 14.043′ N, 86° 15.076′ W. Marker is in Muskegon, Michigan, in Muskegon County. Marker is on West Webster Avenue east of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 W Webster Ave, Muskegon MI 49440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Torrent House (within shouting distance of this marker); Central United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Muskegon Women's Club (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buster Keaton (about 700
Hackley Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Lugnuts, July 19, 2020
2. Hackley Public Library
Marker is to extreme right (out of photo) in the flower bed.
feet away); Hume House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hackley House (approx. ¼ mile away); Hackley-Holt House (approx. ¼ mile away); Union Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Muskegon.
 
Regarding Hackley Public Library. Muskegon citizens celebrated the laying of the Hackley Public Library cornerstone on May 25, 1889, the anniversary of Charles Hackley’s donation of the library. It was the first annual celebration held in recognition of Hackley. On October 15, 1890, the completed library was dedicated. The lot, building, and furnishings amounted to a $175,000 gift.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2020, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2020, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 21, 2021