Dothan in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Founding of Dothan, Alabama
In the late 1700s and 1800s, horse and ox-drawn covered wagons from Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville traveled across the South as pioneer families searched for a place to build new homes and to start a new life. Those pioneers, who passed through the vast pine forests in the southeast corner of the territory that was later to become the state of Alabama, would often stop at a spring known as Poplar Head. Poplar Spring, named for the poplar trees that encircled the glade where the cool water, or ”head” (as springs were often called) welled from the earth. It was where ancient Indian trails met, crossed, and then continued on. The glade where the spring was located was often used by Indians from the various tribes of the Creek Confederacy as a meeting place and as a campground. By 1885, the hamlet had grown into a village.
The new settlers realized that if the community’s growth was to be sustained, they would need a governing body and local law enforcement. On November 10, 1885, the people of Poplar Head voted to incorporate and took Dothan as the new town’s name since there already
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Dothan.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1917.
Location. 31° 13.444′ N, 85° 23.454′ W. Marker is in Dothan, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker is on North St Andrews Street, on the right when traveling north. Located in the parking lot of the Dothan Civic Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dothan AL 36303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dothan Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); A Memorial to the Fallen (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnny Mack Brown (about 400 feet away); Poplar Head Spring (about 400 feet away); Marvin Holman (about 500 feet away); Main Street Commercial Historic District The Naming of Dothan (about 600 feet away); Dothan Municipal Light and Water Plant (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dothan.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2011. This page has been viewed 962 times since then and 97 times this year. Last updated on August 8, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.