Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Marlette in Sanilac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, August 3, 2019
1. Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Marlette, Michigan
Inscription.  Methodism in Marlette dates back to 1851 when the first religious sermon in the county was delivered for the Methodist Society. In 1858 the Methodist Episcopalians organized as a church. Their first minister, the Reverend D. W. Hammond, came to Marlette in 1873. He started the Marlette Index newspaper five years later. The original 1871 church burned in 1901. Detroit architect Joseph Mills, who designed the Marlette High School and the Sanilac County Courthouse, planned this Neo-Gothic-style church, which was built on land purchased by the Ladies Aid Society. Dedicated on December 14, 1902, this church also burned - in 1937 and in 1979. With the exterior preserved, however, the church remains a landmark in Marlette.
 
Erected 2002 by Michigan Historical Commission, Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2121.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 43° 
Methodist Episcopal Church and Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Garman, August 3, 2019
2. Methodist Episcopal Church and Historical Marker
Note the difficulty in seeing the Marker from Main Street.
19.501′ N, 83° 4.772′ W. Marker is in Marlette, Michigan, in Sanilac County. Marker is on Kilgour Street east of South Van Dyke Road (Michigan Route 53), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3155 Main Street, Marlette MI 48453, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Marlette District Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is obscured by a big, overgrown shrub.
 
Also see . . .  Blog on the Methodist Episcopal Church. (Submitted on August 9, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills.)
 
Methodist Episcopal Church and Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Garman, August 3, 2019
3. Methodist Episcopal Church and Historical Marker
Looking from the side, the marker is visible on the right hand side of the image.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 9, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021