Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966)

 
 
Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
1. Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) Marker
Inscription.  
An 1898 graduate of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, Hugh Martin Morris was one of Delaware's most distinguished jurists, serving as a Wilmington attorney and, from 1919-30, as a U.S. District Judge for Delaware.

A member of the University's Board of Trustees for 30 years, the last 20 as its Chairman, Judge Morris made major gifts to the University and helped secure additional important gifts.

The Hugh M. Morris Library was dedicated in 1964, two years before his death. An expansion of the Library was completed in 1986, doubling the size and providing seating for up to 3,000.
 
Erected by University of Delaware.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicEducation. In addition, it is included in the University of Delaware 🎓 series list.
 
Location. 39° 40.695′ N, 75° 45.136′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green south of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware
The marker is in front of Morris Library on The Green image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
2. The marker is in front of Morris Library on The Green
Route 273). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 181 South College Avenue, Newark DE 19717, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Roselle Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); University of Delaware (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Lammot du Pont Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); Rev. Dr. Francis Alison (1705-1779) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Magnolia Circle (about 300 feet away); Wings of Thought (about 400 feet away); In Memoriam (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Regarding Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966). Judge Morris Estate marker, referring to the same person, is in the Newark area outside of this campus.
 
Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., August 6, 2020
3. Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) Marker
This cannot be seen from the front. It is on the marker right side of the vestibule, in which a commons area is located. Plaque has:
Morris
Library
Erected 1963
Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Gordon Moore Jr., August 6, 2020
4. Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) Marker
This plaque, which has different text from the one on the side, is at front entrance, and contains:
Hugh M. Morris
Library
Dedicated 1963
Rededicated 1986
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on August 9, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3. submitted on August 9, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.   4. submitted on August 10, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021