Corner Drug Company Building
Between 1898 to 1909 there was a succession of owners ending with Vergne Moore & Fred Lawhead. The building was remodeled in 1912 and named Physician's Building with medical offices upstairs.
Lawhead sold the store to George Kirk in 1920, who sold to Fred Schoen in 1926. In 1934 Michael Crete & Jesse Vickery purchased the business, then installed the neon Corner Drug Co. sign a year later when it became Walgreen's first system store in California. Howard Gregg & Karl Hanke partnered with Vickery in 1959. Hanke became sole owner in 1980, then sold the business to daughter Lisa Shelley in 1999.
Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Erected 2016 by Native Sons of the Golden West Woodland Parlor No. 30. (Marker Number GYP 139-13.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is
Location. 38° 40.635′ N, 121° 46.384′ W. Marker is in Woodland, California, in Yolo County. Marker is at the intersection of First Street and Main Street on First Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 Main Street, Woodland CA 95695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodland's First Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Capital Hotel, Est. 1869 (within shouting distance of this marker); Main and Second Street 1920’s (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodland begins (about 300 feet away); Site of Byron Jackson’s First Machine Shop (about 300 feet away); China Town begins (about 300 feet away); The Woodland Opera House (about 400 feet away); Yolo County Savings Bank (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodland.
Also see . . . Our History (Corner Drug Co.). (Submitted on August 10, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.