Here, Over Time
Six hundred acres of that land were purchased in the late 1850s by Solomon E. Alden, who built a mansion a few blocks west of here and planted extensive orchards along Temescal Creek. In 1868, Alden created his first subdivision, Temescal Park, on the east side of Telegraph Road. The next year, he subdivided the Alden Tract, on this side of Telegraph. In 1870, a horse car line was extended north from Oakland along Telegraph to Temescal Creek (51st St.) where a car barn was built, thus ensuring jobs and a fast transportation link to Oakland and beyond for the young town's
This Site. The land on which this building stands was inherited by Alden's married daughter, Elsie A. McElrath. In the 1880s, the property consisted of three adjoining, undeveloped parcels - one on this corner, one midway down 48th St., and the third on the northeast corner of 48th and Shattuck.
In 1887, Ellen Cavanaugh purchased the corner lot at 4801 Telegraph where she built the Railroad House, a two-story boarding house. Soon after, she bought the other two lots. She later subdivided the two corner lots and in 1905 erected a residence at 4808 Shattuck. In 1909, she built a five-room cottage on the middle lot, at 510-48th St., and a one-story structure at 4803 Telegraph (now 4811–where you are standing). The corner lot on Shattuck was never built upon.
Despite efforts to the contrary by local townspeople, Temescal was a magnet for saloons. Located midway between the Berkeley campus, where the sale of liquor was prohibited within one mile of the school, and the city of Oakland, where liquor licenses were heavily regulated, Temescal in the 1880s had as many as fifteen bars. The first floor of the Railroad House was soon given over to this use as well. In 1897, Temescal voted
In 1941, Ellen Cavanaugh's descendants sold the properties to Joseph A. Fiorio, who in 1922 had opened Fiorio Hardware on the corner across 48th St. (Two successive generations of Fiorios continued to run the hardware store until it closed in early 1990.)
From 1949 until 1965, the Question Mark bar was on this corner. In March 1965, the Gold Cup took over - but not for long, as a fire that December destroyed the building and the adjacent American Savings and Loan office, here at what had been 4803 Telegraph.
The house at 4808 Shattuck was demolished in 1969. Ten years later, the dwelling on 48th St. was also torn down, and once again a narrow, unbroken swath of vacant land extended from Tele- graph to Shattuck. The entire parcel was then paved and leased as a parking lot to the post office next door at 4869 Telegraph (where it had been from 1938 until 2001 when it moved to a new facility at 4900 Shattuck.)
In 2002, partners Roy Alper, Ron Kriss, and Patrick Zimski purchased the parcels from the Fiorio family and consolidated them into a single property with the plan to develop a six-story building consistingof 25 condominiums and a storefront commercial space. Designed by Thomas Dolan Architecture and incorporat- ing several "green building" features-including what was the largest rooftop solar panel system in Oakland, Temescal Place opened in June 2004. Researched and designed by Jeff Norman/Shared Ground, 2004. Commissioned by Temescal Place.
The Alden library has been for the past number
of years located at Forty-eighth and Telegraph
avenue, and is a favorable location. The Board
has paid a rental of $15
October 7, 1905
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 50.111′ N, 122° 15.78′ W. Marker is in Oakland, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and 48th Street, on the right when traveling south on Telegraph Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4811 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland CA 94609, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Original Residents: The Ohlone / Vicente Peralta's Chosen Place (approx. 0.4 miles away); Black Panther Party Stoplight (approx. 0.7 miles away); El Camino Rancho San Antonio (approx. 0.8 miles away); Key Route Train Station (approx. 0.8 miles
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.