Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Montebello in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Mission Vieja

Old Mission San Gabriel

 
 
Old Mission San Gabriel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, August 18, 2018
1. Old Mission San Gabriel Marker
Inscription.  This tablet was erected by Walter P. Temple and blessed by Right-Reverend John J. Cantwell, Bishop of Monterey and Los Angeles, July 31, 1921, to commemorate the founding of Mission San Gabriel Archangel, on this ground, at Old Mission by Rev. Fathers Angel Somero and Pedro B. Cambon, Sept. 8, 1771.
 
Erected 1921 by Walter B. Temple. (Marker Number 161.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list.
 
Location. 34° 1.857′ N, 118° 4.392′ W. Marker is in Montebello, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of San Gabriel Boulevard and Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling south on San Gabriel Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montebello CA 90640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Juan Matias Sanchez Adobe (approx. 0.9 miles away); Casa de Governor Pío Pico (approx. 2½ miles away); The Lion (approx.
Old Mission San Gabriel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, August 18, 2018
2. Old Mission San Gabriel Marker
3.2 miles away); Greek George (approx. 3.4 miles away); Battle of the Rio San Gabriel (approx. 3½ miles away); Savannah Memorial Park (approx. 3½ miles away); Japanese Markers (approx. 3½ miles away); Tilghman Andrews (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montebello.
 
More about this marker. California Historic Landmark No. 161 — 'Mission Vieja', Old Mission, was the name given to the first buildings erected, and later abandoned, by the fathers for Mission San Gabriel Arcángel. The permanent buildings for the mission were located about five miles distant.
 
Regarding Mission Vieja. The Mission was originally located near the river and subject to flooding, so it was relocated five miles north of here. Mr. Temple had this marker placed on his land, across the street from the actual location of the Old Mission. There are no ruins remaining.
 
Old Mission San Gabriel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, August 18, 2018
3. Old Mission San Gabriel Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2018. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on August 11, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021