Greenville in Butler County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Camellia City / Greenville
Named by early settlers who emigrated from South Carolina, Greenville was established as the county seat in 1821. Settlers traveling along the Old Federal Road were attracted by the area’s abundant natural resources and strategic location, major factors that have continued to shape Greenville’s commercial, agricultural and recreational activities. In Butler County, the Federal Road followed Bartram’s Trail, an ancient Indian path traveled by naturalist William Bartram in 1775. Early Greenville residents included Dunklin, Herbert, Cook, Bolling, Judge, Parmer, Caldwell, Black, Pickens, Graydon, Burnett, Hutchinson, Jones and Waters. The railroad was completed in 1861, enabling establishment of a Confederate Hospital. Greenville flourished in the 1870s and 1880s. By 1900, the town had thriving businesses, a streetcar line, electricity, telephone service, opera house, several colleges and many active churches. Greenville has maintained its historic integrity with hundreds of homes and buildings on the national and state landmarks registers, including the Ritz Theatre, restored to its 1930s Art Deco splendor. Named “Best Small Town in America” in 2001, Greenville’s small town atmosphere continues to be important to its culture.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Greenville.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1890.
Location. 31° 49.782′ N, 86° 37.407′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Alabama, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of East Commerce Street (Alabama Route 10) and Posey Street, on the right when traveling west on East Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 E Commerce St, Greenville AL 36037, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenville City Hall-Site of Public School / Confederate Park (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Confederate Dead Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Captain William Butler (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Site of Confederate Hospital (about 700 feet away); West Commerce Street Historic District/Historic Greenville Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Butler County World War I Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 804 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on August 11, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 6, 2022, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.