Silverado in Orange County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of Carbondale
County of Orange Historical Site No. 01
Erected 1976 by Orange County Board of Supervisors and Orange County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 228.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list.
Location. 33° 44.674′ N, 117° 39.361′ W. Marker is in Silverado, California, in Orange County. Marker is on Silverado Canyon Road 1.2 miles east of Santiago Canyon Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is adjacent to the Canyon Calvary Chapel. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8002 Silverado Canyon Road, Silverado CA 92676, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Death of the California Grizzly (approx. one mile away); Modjeska's Home (approx. 3 miles away); The Legend of Flores Peak (approx. 3.1 miles away); Silverado (approx. 4.2 miles away); Hanging Tree (approx. 4.7 miles away); Irvine Park (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Serrano Adobe (approx. 7 miles away); Heritage Hill Historic Park (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silverado.
More about this marker. This site is California Historical Landmark No. 228 — Carbondale.
This is the site of the 1878 coal discovery. The mine, called the Santa Clara, was operated by the Southern Pacific. The village of Carbondale was built on the flat. When the mine was closed down, Carbondale's buildings were moved away and today not one remains.
Four miles north of here is the site of California Historic Landmark No. 217 — Black Star Canyon Indian Village Site.
The Indians who lived in the village had stolen some horses, and the whites followed them back to their camp. After a skirmish, the whites left with the horses that the Indians had not killed. In 1878 the Black Star Coal Mining Company had a mine at the mouth of the canyon.
[Nothing is there today]
Additional keywords. California Historic Landmark No. 228, California Historic Landmark No. 217
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2011. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on August 12, 2020. Photos: 1. submitted on November 29, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 2. submitted on December 10, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3. submitted on April 28, 2013, by Mike Fay of Huntington Beach, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.